Books, for the most part, are stationary stories. Once you open the cover, you allow yourself to be taken by the author wherever they choose to take you. Choose your own adventure gives you the power to allow the characters to make the choices you want them to make. These types of stories are still growing in popularity and have even made their way onto various platforms, like Netflix. So, which door are you going to enter? The journey will be incredible!
What Did These Choose Your Own Adventure Books Do To Qualify For This List
Any time you are ranking the best of something the results are usually somewhat subjective but we have did our best to come up with a list the readers of the choose your own adventure genre will truly like. To come up with this list we took into account:
- quantity and quality of user reviews
- sales data
- public perception
- opinions of readers of this genre
- commercial success
- and of course personal opinion
Take a look at the best Choose Your Own Adventure Books you can read right now:
Table of Contents
Best Choose Your Own Adventure Books
If you are looking for the best choose your own adventure books available in ebook and print editions this is the list for you
1)The Magic of the Unicorn (Choose Your Own Adventure Book) (Choose Your Own Adventures – Revised) by Deborah Lerme Goodman , Suzanne Nugent, et al.
- Book Summary: The Magic of the Unicorn by Deborah Lerme Goodman takes YOU on a fantasy adventure in search of a unicorn in hopes of using the unicorn’s horn to purify the well in your village. 9-12 year old readers will explore the fabled lands of 1507 Flanders weaving magical tapestries, encountering angry warlocks, and
- Book Reviews:
2)Your Very Own Robot (Choose Your Own Adventure Book – Dragonlark) by R. A. Montgomery
- Book Summary: Your Very Own Robot by R. A. Montgomery takes YOU on a zany adventure with your best robot friend, Gus. Your 6-8 year old reader will sail the high seas, soar into space, and save Gus from the junkyard! Your Very Own Robot introduces the wacky tale that continues in companion book Your Very Own Robot Goes Cuckoo-Bananas!
- Book Reviews:
3)Terror on the Titanic (Choose Your Own Adventure Book #24) by Jim Wallace
- Book Summary: The date is April 10, 1912. Embarking on the Titanic seems like a dream. Quickly you learn that there is evil-doing aboard. Who can you trust? Will you be able to save the Titanic from certain doom as it careens into an iceberg? Will you be remembered as a hero, or just another victim of one of the sea’s most tragic events?
- Book Reviews:
4)Dino Lab (Choose Your Own Adventure Book – Dragonlarks) (Choose Your Own Adventures Dragonlarks) by Anson Montgomery
- Book Summary: You thought that dinosaurs were extinct, but that was before you visited the Dino Lab. Can your puppy (and best friend) Homer help you sniff out the dinosaurs? Did the dinosaurs head to the zoo? Or maybe they went to the movie theater?
- Book Reviews:
5)Princess Island (Choose Your Own Adventure Book. Dragonlarks) by Shannon Gilligan
- Book Summary: Princess Island by Shannon Gilligan takes YOU – her Royal Highness Princess Peregrine Yvette, or Perri for short – on a thrilling adventure to summer camp on Princess Island! Your 6-8 year old reader will practice her curtsy (it needs a lot of work!), search for the ghost of Lady Violet Grimm, compete in the Princess Playoffs, and make lots of new friends! Princess Island is the first Princess Perri adventure, followed by another summer of fun in Princess Perri and the Second Summer.
- Book Reviews:
6)Your Grandparents Are Spies (Dragonlark) (Choose Your Own Adventure Book- Dragonlarks) by Keith Newton and Anson Montgomery
- Book Summary: Is the man with a scar and a briefcase following you? Are your grandparents really who you think they are? Or, are they top-secret spies on a dangerous mission? Will you be one of the youngest space adventurers ever?
- Book Reviews:
7)Secret of the Ninja (Choose Your Own Adventure Book #16) by Jay Leibold
- Book Summary: An ancient samurai sword arrives on the doorstep of your aikido dojo. Does the ninja sword hold magical powers that date back many decades ago? If you trace the history of this mystical sword, will your life be in danger? Without warning, five ninjas attack! Are they after the samurai sword, or out for your head?
- Book Reviews:
8)Beyond Escape! (Choose Your Own Adventure Book #15) by R.A. Montgomery
- Book Summary: Warfare has spread to San Francisco, where a band of guerrillas holds out in the hills. You are an agent for the revolution. Will your mission to protect the Doradan people help, or further the war? If the corrupt government forces find out about you and your counter-ops, will your life be spared?
- Book Reviews:
9)Mountain Survival (Choose Your Own Adventure Book: 28) by Edward Packard
- Book Summary: The decisions of the reader determine the course of the story of the struggle to survive winter conditions in the Canadian Rocky Mountains.
- Book Reviews:
10)Return to Haunted House (Choose Your Own Adventure Book- Dragonlark) by R.A. Montgomery
- Book Summary: Return to Haunted House by R. A. Montgomery takes YOU on a time-traveling adventure around the world. Your 6-8 year old reader will visit a British manor with magic inside, then shoot off to Thailand and meet some majestic elephants. All the while with your best friend, Homer the dog, along for the adventure. Return to Haunted House is a companion book to the bestselling title The Haunted House.
- Book Reviews:
Best Choose Your Own Adventure Movies
When looking for a modern approach to choose your own story books, why don’t you try the first and (currently) only choose your own adventure movie released by Netflix. We present to you:
1)Black Mirror: Bandersnatch
Movie Summary:In 1984, a young programmer begins to question reality as he adapts a dark fantasy novel into a video game. A mind-bending tale with multiple endings.
This is groundbreaking. Can’t really get a grasp on it. Who ever wrote this mapping is a genius. This is the future and Netflix owns it. Need to watch it again and choose sugar puffs instead of frosties. This is like a video game but a movie and makes u wonder so many things on the user pathway.Lindholm Kenneth
Just go and watch it!!! Absolutely blew my mind! This is definitely an interactive film worth your time. It not only delivers a brilliantly story, but it also delivers interesting thought. Go watch it now!Amazon Reviewer
Best Choose Your Own Adventure Podcasts
In our opinion these are the best choose your own adventure stories available to listen to as podcasts.
1)Choose Your Own Adventure by Audible
Podcast Description:You decide what happens next in these classic Choose Your Own Adventure® stories brought to you by Audible.
In each professionally narrated story, you are the adventurer who makes the choices that decide your fate.
To help you on your journey say the following phrases:
“go back” to go back one scene if you don’t like the choice you made.
“start over” to start your current story over from the beginning.
“change story” if you are ready to switch to another story.
“skip” if you want to skip part of the story.
If you need help, just ask.
Stories available from the original series:
*Newly added* Mystery of the Maya by R. A. Montgomery
Space and Beyond by R.A. Montgomery
The Abominable Snowman by R. A. Montgomery
Journey Under the Sea by R. A. Montgomery
Adapted to audiobook by Audible based on original titles © Chooseco LLC.
40 total endings in Mystery of the Maya
27 total endings in The Magic of the Unicorn
43 total endings in Space and Beyond
28 total endings in The Abominable Snowman
37 total endings in Journey Under the Sea
Progress tracking and automatic bookmarking for resuming later
Choose Your Own Adventure® is compatible with FreeTime devices if you grant permissions to the skill at parents.amazon.com or visit the FreeTime section of the Alexa app.
2)The Magic Door by The Magic Door, LLC
Podcast Description:The Magic Door is an Alexa-powered interactive adventure game with original stories. You can tell Alexa what choices to make as you explore a magical land with various regions, including a forest, sea, garden and castle. You will collect hidden items, solve riddles, and help magical creatures.
By choosing the current adventures in the following order, you can be sure to explore the entire land beyond The Magic Door:
1. Take the Garden Path in the Mountains to help the Princess find her crown.
2. Talk to the Rabbit in the Garden and find his eggs hidden beyond the Gate.
3. Take the Forest Path in the Mountains to help the Gnome find the key to his home.
4. Take the boat across the Sea to the Tropical Island to help a family of monkeys.
5. Follow the fiddle along the Sea to a fortune teller who will direct you to a Haunted Lighthouse.
6. Travel up the Bluff along the Sea to gather items for the Gnome with the Flute.
7. Explore various lands to gather potion ingredients to grow a Fern to the Clouds.
8. Travel to the Dark Forest and search the Witch’s Mansion for the Wise Wizard.
9. Journey past the Garden Gate to the Holiday Party in the Princess’ Castle.
10. Search for the Wizard in his Tower, repair his broken mirror, and collect his Wand.
11. Finally meet the Wise Wizard in the Ancient Temple and help him turn back time.
This was a lot of fun – i only went through two different stories so far, but i plan on trying to find them all. It will be great when the stories are a little more involved and expanded. I would recommend the magic door….. but be warned, the monkeys scared my cats to death! i couldn’t stop laughing.Amazon Reviewer
Pretty awesome storytelling with sound effects. I was captivated. You control the adventure and Alexa helps you along. Can’t wait to try it with grandkids. It is a great listening and thinking skill.Amazon Reviewer
3)The Dark Citadel by LC Publishing
Podcast Description:The kingdom of Alderton is under attack, and you are the only one who can save it! This is a story told in constantly released chapters as you build up your hero, form alliances, and prepare for war against The Dark Citadel.
Contained within this interactive novel are hundreds of branching paths that will change your journey. Each decision will have real consequences: from missing out on important quest items to gaining new allies and friends.
New chapters will be released to progress and further branch the story, and it is full of hidden items and clues to enhance replay-ability. Can you discover all of the secrets of this world and bring down The Dark Citadel before it is too late?
PVP GAME TYPES:
1) The Journey Begins
2) Locate the Seeker
3) Into the Desert
4) Crisis of Faith
5) City Under Siege
6) The Wizard’s Quest
7) Return to the Desert
More to come soon!
PLAYING THE GAME:
You make choices which associate to options one through four in the branching Choose Your Own Adventure story. You will also enter combat, select powerful abilities, and make decisions that change the very fabric of the world.
Choose stats, skills, and powers to upgrade and customize your character!
For a full list of stats, skills, and powers and how they work, please check out: https://llitd.com/skills/the-dark-citadel
Customize your character. You collect clues, armor, and weapons throughout the game that will unlock new paths and options, giving the game a high level of replay-ability.
THINGS TO TRY:
– Select dialogue options by saying “Option” plus the number, or you can choose an option directly by clearly speaking the text itself.
– Say “change my character name to” plus the name.
– Say “continue” or “repeat” to hear a dialogue or story option again.
– In combat, say “attack”, “use _______ attack” to use a special power, “run away” to flee, and more!
– You can say “use a damage dealing potion”. You can also use healing potions at any time, but they will also be used automatically in the event that you are dropped to or below 0 hit points.
– Ask “how many hit points do I have” or “how much experience do I need to level up?” or “how many potions do I have”.
– Ask “Do i have a hammer” to check for items in your inventory.
OPTIMIZED FOR SCREENS:
You get a lot more information if you have a large display device. At a glance you can see your inventory, hit points, experience, level, tappable options, and much more!
When you level up, you will unlock new abilities, gain extra hit points, and more. Your stats and kills will also be tracked over at:
The website includes a leaderboard that tracks your number of kills, most killed enemy, level, potions used. Compare your character against all other players of the game! You will need to link your account to be added to the leaderboard, and whatever name you choose for your character will be displayed.
This is one of the coolest choose your own adventure games I’ve come across on the alexa app. It is a fantasy story, and then you pick the branching option you want to try out, and depending on what you do you can unlock some other features that will customize your character and story. For example, at one part of the story you encounter a bear in the woods, and depending on what items you have you can fight the bear, flee from the bear, or even communicate with the bear and turn it into an ally who can help you in the future. It’s also neat that sometimes you’ll find an item later in the story and then it will be something you can use on a replay through to unlock new paths and options.
I can’t wait until more chapters are released, and considering the skill is free it’s definitely been a worthwhile addition to my library!Amazon Reviewer
This is a new way to get into a story and it is fun. I cant wait to see how it turns out.Amazon Reviewer
4)The Golden Quest by Janet Chen
Podcast Description:The Golden Quest is a voice-only, interactive Choose Your Own Adventure game. You play as the main character, a hackathon member embarking on a desperate search. Alexa reads out the story and choices to the player. Its intuitiveness and ease of use means anyone can play – all you need to do is say “Alexa, open the Golden Quest”.
Additional game commands:
Say “Repeat” to hear your game choices again.
Say “Cancel” to end the game.
Completed my important quest after a wild ride.Amazon Reviewer
It seems like it might be annoying because you have to retry the game five times it definitely is choose the right answer or lose. However it took me only 5 times less than 15 minutes and was pretty funny thanks guysAmazon Reviewer
5)The Wayne Investigation by Warner Bros
Podcast Description:Who killed Thomas and Martha Wayne? In this mystery game, Alexa guides you as you hit the mean streets of Gotham to investigate the murder of young Bruce Wayne’s parents. Can you navigate around the story’s dead ends to find the path that solves the crime?
To launch this skill, say “Open the Wayne Investigation.” During the game, you can say “repeat options,” “go back,” or “skip.” For further assistance, say “help”.
Parental guidance suggested. The Wayne Investigation contains content that may not suitable for all ages.
Wow – this was a great experience. High quality and recognized the reader from john corey books – great performance. My kids really enjoyed the immersive experience. Looking forward to more like this!Amazon Reviewer
This is like the Future version of a Choose Your Own Adventure book. My seven year old son and I both like to play it. We’ve played it through several times. It’s not so long that it seems to take forever but long enough to be entertaining and fun.Amazon Reviewer
Best Choose Your Own Adventure Games
1)Life Is Strange (PS4, Xbox, PC, iOS)
The pair soon find themselves investigating the mysterious disappearance of fellow student Rachel Amber, uncovering a dark side to life in Arcadia Bay. Meanwhile, Max must quickly learn that changing the past can sometimes lead to a devastating future.
2)Undertale (PC, PS4, Switch)
Book Summary:Playing as a human child that has fallen into an underground world inhabited by monsters, your goal is to make it to the end of the caverns, where there’s said to be an exit, and escape. But the game gives you a choice as you progress — you can fight the monsters you encounter, or you can try to spare and even befriend them. The tone the story takes and what ending you find at the Underground’s exit is decided by the actions you take, and whether you choose violence or mercy… -Kenya Starflight
One of the best video games in recent memory, “Undertale” is a beautiful game, and will stay with me for a very long time. It’s both a compelling story and an excellent exploration of the tropes of RPGs, and can be appreciated for both. Best for ages 8 and up due to some frightening elements.Amazon Reviewer
Terrific game!Amazon Reviewer
3)The Walking Dead: Season One (PS4, Xbox, Switch, PC, iOS)
Book Summary:The Walking Dead is a five-part game series set in the same universe as Robert Kirkman’s award-winning comic book series. Play as Lee Evertt, a convicted criminal, who has been given a second chance at a life in a world devastated by the undead.
Love this more than the show! It’s immersing, more character development. I was so emotionally invested in the characters. I wish I could unlearn everything and replay again ha ha. Highly recommended!Amazon Reviewer
This is a fabulous game that I will play again and again making different choices to make different outcome.Amazon Reviewer
4)Muv-Luv(PC, Xbox, PS3, PS Vita
Book Summary:Highly-acclaimed story: muv-luv alternative is the highest rated visual novel of all time, a story that demands to be experienced! Turn back the clock: after the tragic events of muv-luv unlimited, go back in time to rewrite the story. A gripping tale; get ready for 50 to 70 hours of visual novel, where the Fate of MANKIND rests in your hands!
A totally epic and amazing visual novel thats rated the best thats ever been made, which i agree totally with.Amazon Reviewer
Amazing Visual Novel. This sci-fi, non-linear, 4-Dimensional traveling story is amazingly entertaining to read.Amazon Reviewer
5)Zero Escape: The Nonary Games(PS Vita, PS4, PC)
Phoenix Wright revived the visual novel genre in 2005. The simple yet addictive gameplay, zany sense of humour and memorable characters made it an instant cult classic and commercial success.Amazon Reviewer
Terrific, suspenseful gameplay. Between this and the Danganrompa collection that also just got released on the PS4, fans of visual novels/mysteries/puzzles are really having a good year. 999 is a classic, Virtues Last Reward is even better. Granted, these games aren’t for everyone…If you need constant action and/or dislike reading, this won’t be for you but if you enjoy a really good story, gameplay that challenges you to observe/think about what your next step is, you might really enjoy this set. Watch some Youtube videos to gauge your interest.Amazon Reviewer
What do you think about our list of best choose your own adventure books? If you have another genre that you prefer to read we have probably compiled a list of our favorites for that genre too. So if you are looking for something other than the best choose your own adventure books you can find other genres here.